You should know that Flood damage is excluded under standard home owner's condo and renter's insurance policies. Flood coverage, can be purchased as a separate policy however, and is available in the form of a separate policy both from the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and from a few private insurers.
Here are some sobering facts directly from the FEMA website.
- Floods are the #1 most common natural disaster in the United States.
- Over the past 5 years (2007-2011) the average paid flood insurance claim was more than $35,000.
- From 2002 to 2011, total flood insurance claims averaged over $2.9 billion per year.
- The average flood insurance policy is about $625 per year.
- People outside of high-risk areas file over 20% of NFIP claims and receive one-third of disaster assistance for flooding.
- The NFIP paid over $2 billion in flood insurance claims to all policyholders in 2011.
The flood policy from NFIP provides coverage for up to $250,000 for the structure of the home and $100,000 for personal possessions. You can purchase "excess coverage" from private carriers thru Tim Shaw Insurance...
Why not call us today and let our experts advise you on how to tailor make your condo policy just for you. Call 239-939-1010